2021 MINI CUP/ JR MINI CUP SERIES RULES:
CAR BODIES: All bodies must be mounted level and securely attached to the chassis at a minimum of four (4) places. All cars, body and frame, must be in good condition and appearance and contain no sharp edges. Bodies will ONLY be made if fiberglass ( no tin bodies) Cars must have safe and suitable front and rear bumpers. Bumpers should be of mini cup type with smooth and rounded edges. Rear bumper must incorporate a push bar (except where the rear clip is the rear bumper and must come in contact with body to be used as a push bumper.) The push bar shall be designed to prevent a car from being lifted off its rear wheels if hit by another car from the rear and additionally would allow a disabled car to be pushed back to the pits by a track service vehicle. The push bar shall be constructed of ¾” diameter pipe and shall not extend more than 1” beyond the rear of the body and be no lower than 4” above the track surface. Cars must have front and rear windshields and side windows made from clear Lexan, not plexiglass. Complete tinting or painting of windshield and rear window is not allowed. The painting of a 1”-1.5” border around windshield, side and rear windows is permitted. The painting of a 3”-4” sun shield strip at top of windshield is allowed. Front and back windshields must be fastened to prevent to windshields from being blown loose during race. Window brackets are permitted. No left side windows. Cars must have an easy access hatch made on top of car. Hatches must be hinged in front (opening from back to front). Hatches must be made from fiberglass or plastic. Hatch must be fastened with rubber locking strap, pins, or Velcro, as long as the hatch does not blow open while on the track. Track officials have the authority to black flag a car racing with the hatch not secured. Tethering of roof hatch to prevent opening in the event of a roll-over is recommended. Cars must have numbers on both sides and on top of car, 12” minimum on doors and 16” minimum on roof facing Grandstand. If car is numbered on windshield or right front bumper, numbers must be a minimum of 3”.
● Ride height: Minimum frame ride height is 1” including all sides of car. From ground to highest point on roof of car: 28” Minimum. Deck lid rear spoiler is optional. If running a spoiler specs are as follows: Height- Minimum 2 ½”, Minimum thickness .0625 (1/16 ) aluminum or Lexan or Plexiglass. Corners of spoiler must be rounded. Spoiler must be centered on car plus or minus 1”.
● Chassis: Full perimeter type frame and four-point roll cage is required. straight-rail type chassis allowed. Primary frames must be minimum 1” round or square mild steel tubing, Minimum .065” wall thickness. Cars built 1994 or earlier may use 7/8” tubing, but will be required to pass a general safety inspection. All welds must be sound. A full metal floor pan and firewall is required. A solid firewall is required to separate the driver from the engine compartment. Firewall must be metal only. Seat must be connected to the frame in an approved manner. All parts must be fastened so as not to come loose. All cars will be required to have crash bars up front in a manner that they protect the driver’s legs and feet. Shields are recommended but not required. Rear down tubes that connect from the roll bar to the rear chassis frame are required. With a bar that connects the two down tubes together so that the tubes do not collapse when hit from the side.
● Safety: All cars to be equipped with a speedway approved roll cage. All cars must be inspected and approved by Richmond Karting Speedway Officials. All safety equipment must be worn during Practice, Qualifying, and feature races. An approved full-face Racing Helmet is required. Head and neck restraints recommended. Support collar is also recommended. (Must be a wrap around). A flame retardant fire suit jacket (1-layer minimum) is required, full fire suit (jacket and pants) not required but recommended. No shorts must have long pants while driving. The suit must be in good condition without rips, tears, etc. Racing gloves in good condition are required. A fire extinguisher is also required and should be mounted within reach of the driver strapped in. No open toed shoes or sandals. Safety belts must be competition SFI five-point safety harnesses. Harness must be securely fastened to the frame or the primary roll cage member. Belts must be no older than 7 yrs. (based on date on belts not on date they were installed in the car). Regardless of age, belts must be free of any defects or damage and are subject to inspection and approval of or the race park Safety Officials.
● All cars must be fitted with an approved aluminum mini-cup type racing seat mounted securely to the chassis. Fiberglass or plastic seats are not allowed. Both right and left head rests are highly recommended. Window nets: Left side window net not required but highly recommended. Mirrors: Cars must have a Left side & right side mirrors mounted on the roll bars. Battery must be mounted inside a metal box in the driver’s compartment, or behind a firewall mounted on left side of chassis in engine compartment area. Fuel cell will either be securely mounted inside driver’s compartment or securely mounted behind firewall in engine compartment. Fuel tank will be foam filled. Fittings must be in place to prevent spillage and a roll over check valve if possible. Steering wheel must be a “quick release” type. Rear axle must have snap rings on both ends. All axles will have keys in rear hubs. No free-wheeling rear hubs. Hydraulic brake connections must be tight and free of visible leaks. Brake lines should be safety routed to prevent possibly being worn through or pulled loose.
*Radios are NOT allowed .
● Steering: All steering and suspension parts shall be secured by cotter pin, double nut, lock nut or snap ring. Steering wheel must be a quick release type and must lock into place when attached. Kart type or rack & pinion steering allowed Steering column padding is optional
● Rear End: Axle: Minimum OD is 11/4”. No carbon fiber or titanium axles allowed.
● Brakes: Rear hydraulic brakes are required. Must be caliper / rotor type. No Strap type brakes. Rigids will have a rear brake only. Suspended may Have front brakes with one brake in the rear.
● Wheelbase, width, and Length: * a. Wheelbase: Minimum wheelbase of 58”, Maximum wheelbase 64” as measured between center of the rear axle to the center of the front spindle when front wheel is straight. * b. width and length: Minimum of 43”, Maximum of 48” measured from outside to outside of wheels. Overall length minimum of 96, maximum of 118” measured from the longest point from front to rear.
● Engine: Motors will be the predator 420cc motor #60340 and can purchase at Harbor Freight . Crank may be cut 1 inch to allow for clearance only. Motor will be sealed on side cover, head, and 2 seals on flywheel cover. Before use ALL motors will be sealed by track officials choice Jaimie Henderson for a small fee. Any tampering with seals will be a rules infraction and constitute a one race suspension for car and driver. If any interchangeable parts (ie carburetor, etc) are found to be out of stock, parts will be confiscated until the end of the season and all points for that day’s events will be lost.
● CARBURETOR and SPACER: ● a. You may use either a stock Honda or stock Honda appearing carburetor no tilson or mikuni carbs. ● b. Remote carb. Adjustor is allowed. ● c. All carbs and Spacers will meet specs. ● d. Fuel filters: Inline fuel filters are allowed. ● e. Stock unaltered insulator blocks must be run with stock gaskets may drill ONLY for vacuum line installation ● f. Fuel pump: Only vacuum type fuel pumps are allowed. 1/4 “tubing can be added for vacuum access. Cars to be equipped with only one (1) fuel pump. Electric fuel pumps are not allowed.
● AIRCLEANER: All engines are required to run an air cleaner and filter adaptor.
● EXHAUST: ● a. Exhaust pipe must be solid, be of minicup type and must exit only behind rear tire. Exhaust pipe wrap only is legal. No coatings. RLV 4106 silencer muffler 1-5/6” diameter pipe inlet required. Baffles must remain in place and show no signs of tampering. No cutting or alteration of muffler allowed.
● CLUTCH and CHAIN: You may use either a dry centrifugal clutch or disk clutch. No other types of drive devices allowed. Only #35 Chain is allowed. No auto or manual chain oiling systems. No ratchet or free float hubs. All sprocket keys in place. NO SKIP tooth gears allowed.
● TIMING and ELECTRICAL SYSTEM: ● a. No alterations to the starter coil, mounting bolts and holes or other electrical parts are allowed. ● b. Any make or brand sparkplug as long as it’s compatible with the engine. ● c. The electric self-starter must be in working order. All cars must be capable of starting under their own power.
● OIL and FUEL SYSTEM: ● a. Oil brands are optional. No flammables or explosives. Oil catch can is required on all cars and must be in working order. ● c. Fuel containers must be metal or plastic. Fuel line must have a shut off valve properly installed between the fuel cell and fuel pump. 94 octane is the max.
● WHEELS and TIRES: ● a. Wheels: Aluminum 6 in wheels. Wheels must be matching in size and off set all the way around car ● b. The tires that are allowed to be used are either the Hoosier or the American Racer mini-cup tire. Note: All qualifying and race tires shall be in good condition with no visible flaws.
● WEIGHT: All mini-cups will weigh a minimum of 700 lbs with driver. Jr Mini Cup weight 700 lbs with driver. All lead weight must be attached securely to the chassis, painted white and have the car number on it.
● AMMENDMENTS: These rules are subject to change at any time during the season. Remember if it doesn’t state that you can’t do something within the rules doesn’t mean you can. Check with race official.
● Age requirement for jr minicup is 10-16, and minimum age for minicup is 12, or equal driving experience. Ie driver from go kart division can join minicups if they have been running a number of years also allowing for drivers with no experience staying after 16 years of age
***ALL ON TRACK CALLS MADE BY TRACK OFFICIALS ARE FINAL! ***